Flowers on the roundabout
Chapeltown along with its neighbouring settlements was part of the largest Parishes in England. Covering nearly 78 square miles. Before Industrialisation Chapeltown was a hamlet, that had developed around the cross roads of Sheffield to Barnsley, Rotherham to Wortley.
In 1793 a company established itself in the area, Newton Chambers. The company mined its own ironstone, then coal. Producing small thou heavy cast iron goods. During the Second World War Churchill tanks were produced on the site.
One of the by-products of coke production was a germicidal disinfectant which was patented as the famous IZAL. The company went out of business in the early 1970’s.